About Patronato

Absorbing the beauty and inspiring art of Mission San Xavier today is a far cry from the way you would have experienced it 40 years ago.

 

Details now readily seen—vibrant colors, rich murals and glints of gold on the Retablo Mayer—were barely discernible because two centuries of candle smoke, dust, water seepage and general neglect had rendered the interior walls of the Church almost black. Sensing the imminent destruction of the interior of Mission San Xavier, a group of community leaders formed the nonprofit Patronato San Xavier to restore and preserve the interior and exterior of the Mission forever.

Much remains to be restored: the East Tower, the ornate facade, the East Wing (built with beams and adobe from the first church built at the Mission), the Mortuary Chapel, the adobe walls, and the 19th century administrative wing. Patronato also is building a permanent endowment to provide for on-going preservation and maintenance needs at the Mission.

Click here for more details about the Patronato’s restoration and preservation work at the Mission.

Patronato San Xavier

The Patronato is a nonsectarian, nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization founded by Southern Arizona community leaders in 1978. The Patronato’s only purpose is to promote the restoration, maintenance and preservation of Mission San Xavier del Bac, a National Historic Landmark near Tucson, Arizona that was named to the global World Monuments Fund “Watch” list of cultural heritage sites at risk from the forces of nature and the impact of social, political and economic change.

Fast Facts

2000-present

• 2015

The Mission was named to the prestigious World Monuments Fund (WMF) 2016 World Monuments Watch.

Since its founding in 1978, Patronato has raised more than $11 million for the restoration and preservation of Mission San Xavier. The White Dove Campaign begun in 2013 continues, as does fundraising through spring and Christmas concerts.

• 2014
The restoration of the Sacristy Arcade is completed.

• 2013
The White Dove Campaign begins to raise the $3 million needed for extensive repair of the East Tower of the Mission.

• 2012
Patronato is honored with a Governor’s Centennial Award to acknowledge “outstanding achievements in the preservation of Arizona historic and prehistoric cultural resources.”

• 2011
A free San Xavier Tour Program run by docents is established.

The 15th Anniversary of the Christmas Concerts at the Mission is celebrated.

• 2009
A Save America’s Treasures grant–matched by gifts from individuals and organizations–allows Morales Restoration and Builders to repair and refinish the West Tower.

Patronato-sponsored Annual Spring Concerts begin in 2009.

• 2006
Morales Restoration and Builders receive a Governor’s Award for Historic Preservation for long-term achievement.

1900-1999

• 1998
The National Trust honors Patronato with a National Preservation Award for “painstaking exterior and interior restoration” of a national historic landmark.

• 1997
The interior preservation is completed. A Getty grant–matched by gifts from generous individuals and organizations–saves precious art and statuary.

• 1992
Patronato hires Guggenheim conservator Paul Schwartzbaum and a team of international art conservators preserve and clean the church interior.

• 1988
Morales Restoration and Builders begin work on the exterior surfaces of the Mission–roof, walls of the apse, side chapels, and nave–before interior work can begin.

• 1985
Art conservator Gloria Giffords and historian Miguel Celorio issue an extensive report about the Mission interior, which details what must be done to restore and preserve the interior.

• 1978
With seed funds from the Pew family, six Tucson community leaders start Patronato San Xavier as a non-profit, non-sectarian corporation with the sole purpose to preserve and restore Mission San Xavier Del Bac.

• 1963
The National Park Service names the Mission one of the original 13 National Historic Landmarks.

• 1905
Under Henri Granjon, the bishop of the new Diocese of Tucson, a major restoration of the Mission begins.

1692-1899

• 1872
The Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet open school at the Mission. The nuns who operate the school today are Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity.

• 1866
Tucson becomes an incipient diocese and clergy regularly visit the Mission and conduct services.

• 1859
The Mission falls under the jurisdiction of the United States and the Diocese of Santa Fe and the first fixes to the structure begin.

• 1797
Funds are exhausted, work stops, and the church opens its doors for services.

• 1790
Franciscan father Juan Bautista Llorens begins overseeing the decoration of the interior of the church.

• 1783
Under the direction of Franciscan Father Juan Baptiste Velderrain, construction of the great church begins, paid for with 7,000 pesos borrowed from a Sonoran rancher.

• 1756
Father Alonso Espinosa, a Jesuit, builds the first church−a one-room adobe mud hut structure−on the Mission site in.

• 1692
Jesuit missionary Father Eusebio Francisco Kino establishes the Mission San Xavier Del Bac.