Patronato San Xavier is a nonsectarian, nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization founded by Southern Arizona community leaders in 1978. The Patronato’s only purpose is to promote the restoration, maintenance and preservation of Mission San Xavier del Bac, a National Historic Landmark near Tucson, Arizona.
January 7, 1931 – April 2, 2016
It is with great sadness we share the passing of Bernard “Bunny” Fontana, one of the co-founders of Patronato San Xavier. In 1978, Bunny, along with five other community leaders founded the Patronato San Xavier. To read more more about Bunny’s life and contributions to the Mission, click here.
A beloved tradition since 1950, the Ball celebrates what makes Tucson a special place to live: dedicated people, the mix of cultures, the strong creative influence of the arts, and the presence of history all around us. The Silver & Turquoise Board of Hostesses has raised more than half a million dollars for the Mission.
Saving the East Tower
A major project remains, which is the restoration of San Xavier Mission’s East Tower. Restoring it will help preserve the structural integrity of the building and further enhance its beauty. In the centuries since the Mission was built, cracking in the East Tower’s exterior has allowed water to migrate behind the stucco and wick into the interior adobe brick. Click here for more information.